Thursday, July 20, 2006

Grilled Cheese, Please!



Although it’s in the job description, not many people listen to their bosses. They smile, and say, “yes,” “exactly,” and “great idea,” but are really imagining a large, cartoon-esq piano dropping on their superior’s head. I, luckily, like my boss. One of the greatest things he ever taught me (besides covering my a**) was about Grilled Cheese Thursdays at Campanile.

On La Brea, just north of Wilshire, and directly next to The La Brea Bakery, sits Campanile. It’s quite a fancy place, and even the lunch time specials can get a little pricey. However, on Thursday nights, the chef provides a Grilled Cheese menu which is reasonable and delish. Don’t go in expecting a bowl of Cambell’s and a couple triangles of the orange stuff. This is gourmet fromage.

The best thing to do is to share (the more you can try, the better). I started out with the antipasta plate: a few slices of proscuitto, salami and a couple other thinly sliced meats. The plate also was sprinkled with sliced figs and an assortment of Italian olives. Delish and only $9!

For dinner, I shared the Sliders (mini burgers) with carmelized onions, grafton cheddar, pancetta, tomato and avocado ($16). I’ve never tasted a bigger flavor in a burger that was smaller than my hand. I also had the open faced Lamb Sandwich, (of course, now I’m forgetting the cheese…. I believe it was a goat cheese). The lamb was so tender, and the sandwich had such robust and complex flavors – it was fantastic ($17). They also have a Beer Battered Soft Shell Crab Sandwich with Coleslaw and Spicy Mayonnaise ($18), which is just as good (if not better) than it sounds.

The sandwiches are all accompanied by a mixed green salad, and complimentary French Fries for the table. I could have just eaten the fries and been happy, but what a meal, what a meal!

Try something different next Thursday and make the trip to Campanile. Don’t forget to make a reservation because the tables fill fast. I mean, who doesn’t like cheese, right?

Campanile
624 S. La Brea Ave.
Los Angeles, 90036
($$$)

No comments: