Friday, March 16, 2007

Tea with Dinosaurs



I don't really know how to start this post. I'm still in a bit of an altered state since my journey to the Museum of Jurassic Technology. Let me start by saying that I've driven by this museum about 50 times and every time I say the exact same thing: "What is that place?" If you checked out the museum's web page, you won't be any closer to finding an answer to my question. Let me tell you this, after an hour of perusing the exhibits I think I'm more confused as to what is going on there.

I felt seriously creeped out in this museum, asking my self over and over the same question I asked when I drove by, hoping that an answer would appear out of no where (and I wouldn't have been surprised if it mysteriously floated in front of my face). The lighting goes from dim to dark and the exhibits are eclectic to say the least. I really can't describe the place, you have to go and check it out for yourself. I'm sure there's a deeper, sarcastic undertone as one artcle I read about the MJT named Steve Martin as one of the Museum's patrons. I didn't get "it", but maybe you will.

The reason I'm able to blog about this place is because of Tula's Tea Room. If you're able to guide yourself through the entire first floor without jetting for fear that some cult member is going to kidnap you and make you eat poisoned Peeps or something just as out of the ordinary, then you're in for a treat. The Museum itself is free to the public, and the complimentary tea and cookies upstairs are as well. The tea room is walled with windows which are lightly draped. Padded benches line the walls and a fountain sits in the middle. There is only one kind of tea, but you'll have several glasses trying to figure out what the hell you just saw downstairs. This is one of those hidden finds where you wonder if you're part of one big inside joke. Again, I can't really explain this place well enough. Bring your ghostwriter pen and godspeed.

Museum of Jurassic Technology
9341 Venice Boulevard
Culver City, CA 90232
(310) 836-6131
free

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this place is so tempting to visit....and end it with the tea room visit. Jaimey thank you for you funny description and it was written so well!!!!!!