Monday, August 20, 2007

La Paella in Your Face

Spain is so hot right now - just ask The Cheetah Girls. I wish doing "movie research" was the reason I stumbled upon La Paella on Friday night, but a romantic dinner date will just have to do. How boring am I?

Dinner, however, was anything but stale. La Paella is an adorable Spanish restaurant, with twinkle lights and lace curtains. You walk in, and the smells of fresh seafood and quite conversation take you back to a time before date night at The Cheesecake Factory was considered acceptable.

We were sat in the back of this small restaurant, amongst cook book lined bookshelves and racks of aging wine. The waitress was Spanish. Am I dreaming?

We decided to just do tapas (next time, I'll hit up the Paella). Almost everything we had was delicious (save the one special we ordered that we both disliked), so I'll just shower you with pictures so you can go try for yourself!

Start off with a glass of Sangria ($5).
Fresh and light and fruity!
Enjoy the fresh baked bread and duo of garlic mayonnaise and olive tapenade.

Then move on to these assortment of tapas:

Patatas Bravas ($3.95)Lightly fried potatoes coated in a spicy tomato sauce.

Champinones con Chorizo ($5.25)
Delicious and rich - the combo of the mushrooms and the sausage was divine!

Calamares a la Plancha ($5.50)
Grilled squid lightly seasoned with olive oil, garlic and parsley drizzled with lemon juice. So fresh and not a bit on the chewy side.

Manchego con Membrillo ($4.75)
Fresh manchego cheese (my favorite) topped with slices of quince paste. Sweet and salty!

Espinacas con Pinones y Pasas ($5.95)
A heaping plate of sauteed spinach - little bits of creamy nuts and sweet raisins makes this dish really special.

Jamon Serrano ($9.75)
One of the specials of the evening, serrano ham with figs - great quality!

The other special was avocado stuffed with crab which was drowned in a thousand island type sauce and tasted too fishy for my liking. I'll give it to them since 1)it's not a menu regular and 2) 6 out of 7 ain't that shabby.

Like I said, I can't wait to go back here and try the Paella! The restaurant had charm and good food. You can just feel the fast pace life of Los Angeles slow down with each tasty bite (or was that just the Sangria...?). This is a great date spot, and a wonderful hidden gem inside this big ol' city!

One thing to note: Like all good Spaniards, La Paella will be taking a vacation after this Saturday's dinner service and will reopen on September 12. So, either go this weekend, or wait a few weeks if you can stand it. In the meantime, you can busy yourself with a little of this action.


La Paella
476 S. San Vicente Blvd.
Los Angeles, 90048
(323) 951-0745
$$

La Paella

No comments: