If I could eat ice cream (gelato) every day, I would. Actually, ice cream is probably the reason I've had to join Weight Watchers recently. Well, actually I think I just said that so I could have a creative way to let you know I'm on Weight Watchers. There! I said it! Now can we stop talking about it, thank you.
But enough about me, back to the cream of the crop. I recently wrote about Milk, the newest and "hippest" gelato on the block. I lied. Okay, Milk is great and everything, but they have nothing on Scoops.
Scoops is run by a lovely man named Tai who hand crafts the most beautiful and unique gelato I've ever seen or tasted. Scoops has become quite a hot topic on Los Angeles food blogs, bringing Tai a lot of business and even causing him to ask Yelp to put him on the second page to try to slow down the flow of people flocking to his small gelato shop. Tai is a one man show, creating new flavors every day for a fraction of what he should charge. $2 a scoop?! Dorthy, I feel like I'm in Kansas.
I was feeling adventurous and practically tried every flavor Tai was selling. The Maple Sugar, M&M & Marshmallow was great, but a little too sweet for my taste. The Kumquat and Basil was incredibly refreshing, but I was feeling something a little richer. I ended up with a scoop of Vegan Coffee & Hazelnut (yes, Vegan - he's got plenty of Vegan options for those of you that I will never quite understand). Because Vegan was a little out of my food vocabulary, I decided to pair that scoop with a scoop of Carmel & Bacon gelato. OMG OMG OMG I've died and gone to heaven. Okay, I think I committed another Jewish sin. Bacon? And Milk? On a spoon together?
Dear Rabbi, I have sinned.
WAIT - we don't do that shit. Praise G-D!
But seriously, this gelato was out of this world. Amazing. Incredible. Blah Blah Blah, had to change my pants, yada yada yada. Scoops is a testament to Los Angeles foodies, a cornerstone of gormondos around the world, and a lovely little gelato shop all rolled into one. Go. Be amazed.
Scoops
712 N. Heliotrope Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90029
$
P.S. If you're looking for something to do in the area, the Fake Gallery is right around the corner on Melrose and has some great, alternative comedy. Check out their show Word Play, which freatures comedians telling personal stories with the accompaniment of a DJ. The next show is on March 31st.

3 comments:
have you heard of penguins? i suggested scoops to someone and they told me about penguins frozen yogurt/ice cream in the marina
Actually, I have been to Penguins. It's pretty good fro yo, but nothing like Scoops - a different breed, if you will. Although they do have a pretty killer cookies and cream low fat fro yo... thanks for making me crave ice cream before noon. My day is doomed.
I need to go there, the description and adjectives make Scoops sound like a gem!~!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment