...although I never seem to make it there. However, this weekend was an exception. I had the pleasure at dining at one of the more favorable downtown haunts, Pete's Cafe. The restaurant really feels like a classic downtown restaurant, with low lighting, a busy bar area and dark wood tables and booths - and the menu is to match.
We started our meal with none other than the Pancetta Wrapped Scallops on a bed of Buttery Leeks and topped with an Orange Apricot Compote ($12). This dish was a perfect medley of savory and sweet. The pancetta was crisp and the scallops were seared just right. So far, so good.
I then moved on to the main course, sharing two dishes. The first was a Flat Iron Steak with Bleu Cheese Fries ($17), grilled to a nice medium rare with a tasty port wine demi. The bleu cheese fries, which really sold the dish were a little disappointing. The cheese was just okay and the fries came out soggy. I still managed to eat them all, but they were not as good as I had anticipated.
The second main course was the Beef Short Ribs ($20), normally served with Sauteed Gnocchi but do to religious restrictions, I opted for asparagus and sauteed spinach. Again, the sides were a little disappointing and a little too salty. However, the Beef Short Ribs were some of the best I've ever had. The meat was falling off the bone, so tender and tasty. The sauce was rich and deep, but didn't overpower the flavor of the meat.
As Petula Clark once said, "maybe you know some little places to go," and now I do. Pete's is very reasonably priced, and while not a total home run, I was very satisfied with my meal.
Pete's Cafe
400 S. Main Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013
$$

No comments:
Post a Comment