Friday, April 06, 2007

Nook Who's Talking

It's been a little slow at work this week, I'm not going to lie. Actually, if we're being completely honest, it's been slow for a few weeks (hence the recent influx of posts). So, on this particularly slow Friday, being that it was particularly "Good," and thus so were my otherwise agnostic co-workers, I decided to go out to an actual restaurant for lunch.

I'd heard about Nook Neighborhood Bistro for a while, but just recently decided to make the trip. I have to tell you, although I had the address and cross streets, I did drive by the locale once before finding it. Nook is located in a stripmall on Santa Monica Blvd., just west of Barrington (between Barry and Federal). Although the large mall sign does include Nook amongst it's other tenants, once inside the mall, there is no Nook sign in sight, only a blue sign with a white arrow on it! Hidden in between a pizza joint and a bakery, with no sign!, I knew this place was going to be neato.

It was pretty busy for a lunch hour, but we were seated right away at the communal table in the middle of the small restaurant. Yes, communal table! Let me just tell you that besides eating food at restaurants, my second (and close first) favorite thing to do is eavesdrop on other people's conversations. Between the man on my right telling his female coworker about the potential of missing a meeting due to his appointment at the fertility clinic (he and his wife want a son and want to increase the odds. I just hope he washed his hands before lunch.) and the group on my left, a young couple meeting the parents for the first time and arguing about where to put the couch in their new apartment, it was quite an enjoyable lunch. Not to mention, the food was pretty good as well.

I ordered a cup of Lentil Soup to start ($3), which was topped with a Lemon and Mint Feta - absolutely delish! I hate it when lentil soups are goopy, but this was the perfect consistency, not too creamy, the lentils were firm, but tender, and the broth was really rich and tasty.


I should also mention that I'm trying to keep kosher for Passover, so I was limited to what I could order on the menu. I REALLY wanted the 3 cheese Mac & Cheese which was browned and crispy on top just as it should be. I ended up with a Nicoise Salad ($12), which was just okay. The fresh Ahi Tuna was really fantastic, but the dressing was nothing special and the salad was kind of bland. I'm not going to hold this against them, as it was probably the most boring item on the menu. My lunch date, Stephanie, chose the Grilled Albacore Sandwich ($9) which was dressed with a apple fig chutney (to die for) and pickled red onions. She said the focaccia was really fresh and delicious too, of course, I just drooled looking at it. Steph ordered a side of Caesar Salad, which the menu describes as "famous," and for goodness sake, get this salad a star on Hollywood Blvd. The dressing, which truly revolves around the unique addition of a whole grain mustard, is so fantastic and different than any caesar I've ever had. The salad is sprinkled with fried capers and is just a delite.

Nicoise Salad


Grilled Albacore Sandwich


I really want to go back here for dinner as it's romantic, secluded and has a great menu. Plus, "nook" is just plain fun to say.

Nook Neighborhood Bistro-
11628 Santa Monica Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310) 207-5160
$

2 comments:

SKO said...

Ditto to everything.
The soup, the sandwich and the caesar salad was DELISH!

Anonymous said...

Like Mother like Child.......Can it get any better than to dine on delicious food and to ease drop great conversation next to you? I need to see this hidden gem. Thanx Jaimey for such a wonderful description and a very creative title!!!!!